Pavers: Maintenance & Care
January 26, 2018
Weather every storm.
Mother Nature can be cruel. Luckily, by choosing Belgard for your hardscape projects, you’ve already taken measures to increase resistance against weathering and corrosion. Still, seasonal hardscape paver maintenance is encouraged to preserve the beauty and integrity of your installation. Below you’ll find some Belgard tips on how to clean and protect patio pavers.
CLEANING PATIO PAVERS
- Clean your pavers each Spring with a coarse-bristle “stable” broom and a paver cleaner to keep them looking like new.
- Some weeds, if left unaddressed, can shift pavers apart over time. Be sure to periodically apply a granular weed preventative between joints as a part of your paver maintenance routine.
- Be careful when cleaning your Belgard pavers with power washers as they can expose the aggregate on the paver’s surface.
HOW TO CLEAN DRIVEWAY PAVERS
- Before applying any paver cleaning solution to your hardscape, test a small inconspicuous area first to be sure you get the desired results.
- Be sure to read and follow the directions printed on container labels for cleaning solution use, application, precautions and first aid. Always rinse the solution off thoroughly after use.
- In the event of an oil spill, act to remove it promptly with granular oil absorbent. Spills should be soaked up, not rubbed. Rubbing will drive the stain deeper into the concrete.
HOW TO PROTECT & MAINTAIN PAVERS
- De-icing substances, when used in proper amounts, will not damage good-quality concrete. However, they may accelerate surface wear on some paver styles. Use them in moderation.
- The joints between paving stones are the most vulnerable areas of any installation. Keep these joints topped off with jointing sand to prevent the sand-bedding layer below from deteriorating, causing the pavers to shift.
HOW TO MAINTAIN PAVER COLOR
- Sealers can be applied to pavers to protect their surface and maintain their color. Sealers should not be applied more than once in three years, to a maximum of two applications. Too many applications will create a film on the surface, which may discolor in sunlight.
- Annual washing using a paver cleaner is also important for paver color maintenance and to keep the pavers looking like new.
HOW TO RESTORE COLOR TO PAVERS
- Wash pavers using a concrete paver cleaner.
- Allow pavers to dry.
- Seal pavers using a paver sealer.